Monday, April 30, 2018

Bits and Pieces: April

I think it's March that's supposed to go in as a lion and out as a lamb, but this year it's April's turn. This weather is so beautiful, though. That's one thing about living in a state with a long winter - I really appreciate every sunny day. And the kids have been going crazy since the weather finally turned to spring - they are outside running around like maniacs every day. It is wonderful.

This month has been strange and sad in some ways. We had a death in the family and Clare's teacher had a serious illness. I am sad for some of my relatives who are grieving. The good news is that Clare's teacher is recovering well, and will hopefully be back to work full time soon.

On a happier note, Ben and I had a wonderful night to ourselves last weekend. I have been trying to plan a date night once a month. It seems like we go too long without having a conversation that doesn't involve child or house maintenance tasks. These date nights are really important for us to reconnect. My sister and brother-in-law gave us a very generous Christmas present this year: a gift certificate to Butcher and the Boar, along with the promise to take Clare and Christopher for a sleepover. We cashed in last weekend. We started with a few beers at Bauhaus, along with eleventy billion other people who wanted to enjoy the sunshine. Then we had a delicious dinner at Butcher and the Boar. (The best part were the whiskey cocktails: an old-fashioned for me and a whiskey sour for Ben.) It was so nice being able to sleep past 7 the next morning. Then, we went out to breakfast, just the two of us, at Tillie's Farmhouse. We did a lot of talking about the kids, and reminiscing about how we used to go out to breakfast almost every weekend before kids.

Spring Break feels like a year ago, but it was actually just at the beginning of this month. Weird. We had Easter here. We went to my friend Heather's annual brunch, which was fun as usual. I love the Easter egg hunt and the mimosas. We hosted Ben's parents' and aunt and uncle here for Easter dinner. I made kielbasa, warm potato salad, asparagus, and lime curd bars for dessert. The kids had fun hunting for their Easter baskets. We still have Easter candy, which I am doing my best to help get rid of. Don't tell Clare.

We spent Spring Break at my parents' house. Ben stayed here to work. It was a nice time, despite weather putting an end to our plans to visit my grandma. We took the kids to an indoor play area and they went sledding. I got to have dinner with my friend Christina, which was wonderful as always. My Aunt Karen and Ruth also came for dinner one night. We had a good time.

I've been busy with ECFE this month - we had our annual potluck on Friday. This may or may not be my last year on the PAC, since I apparently don't know how to say no.

I also had dinner with my friend Chrissy this month! We had gone way too long without seeing each other. I love seeing old friends and feeling like very little time has past.

We went to visit my grandmother and aunt in La Crosse this past weekend. She is going to be 95 this year! The kids always love visiting her, and do well in the car.

Clare has finished the second Harry Potter. I am making her take a break before she reads the third one. She is quite upset by this, but I am just not sure she is ready for the third one yet. They get pretty intense pretty fast. And she is only six.

The kids are both doing well. It has hard to believe how close we are to the end of the school year. Why does that always take me by surprise? Christopher's last day is May 25. Help. Way too soon.

Decorating Easter eggs.

I wonder how many more years I can hide his basket in the front hall closet without him remembering.

It took her awhile to find it, but she was happy when she did.


Spring break sledding. #wrong

These two adore each other.

When there's a blizzard, you put on a party dress and walk to the local kid-friendly bar.

Snowball fight.

On the snow day we got together with friends , went sledding, and had a massive kids vs. adults snowball fight.

Ben and I at Bauhaus.

"Will you take my picture? I want to see my style."





















1 comment:

  1. You were BUSY in April!! Wow.

    I'm sorry there was a death in the family and glad Clare's teacher is ok. Life has a way of bringing us to our knees when we least expect it. (I ripped that lyric off from Mat Kearney.)

    I love that Clare wore a party dress to play in the snow. She knows what she likes!! And I'm happy that you & Ben had a successful date night ... good weather, good beer, good food, uninterrupted sleep, and a chance to just hang out like you did pre-kids.

    I'm so glad we had a chance to (finally!) get together after attempting to plan something for more than a year. It was so good to see you and catch up. The next get-together will be in Canada! (aka our house) ;)

    ReplyDelete