Thursday, April 19, 2018

On Purpose

When Ben and I moved back here 5 years ago, it certainly wasn't for the weather. I admit, I was in a foul mood about this weekend's blizzard, and having school canceled on Monday certainly didn't help. Last week, I heard someone on the radio say, "We live here on purpose. Just remember that." And that made me think it would do me some good to think about all of the reasons why we moved back here and why we plan to stay. That, along with they memory of the epic kids versus adults snowball fight that took place on Monday, is sure to help my mood.


  • Our neighborhood: friendly people, great parks, and the ability to walk to locally-owned restaurants, even in a blizzard.
  • Clare's school. A free, public Montessori school is a wonderful thing.
  • Christopher's preschool. We will miss this sweet school next year.
  • Living close to many family and friends, both old and new. (We do miss living near my parents. And I will probably wish forever, in vain, that my brother and his family will move here.)
  • Proximity to many beautiful state parks. Being within an easy drive to Minnesota's gorgeous north shore and the BWCA is not a small thing for our camping-loving family.
  • The Como Zoo, the Children's Museum, the Big Zoo, the Science Museum, the History Center, the Aquarium.
  • ECFE. Did you know Minnesota is the only state with this program? It has been a huge help for me, and I have made many friends in the neighborhood through my classes. And the kids love it.
  • So many delicious places to eat, if only I had unlimited funds and unlimited babysitters.
  • The Palace Theater and First Ave. And the Turf Club and even Xcel.
  • The Twins, the Saints, not the Vikings.
  • MIA and the Walker.
  • Hockey games at the U and the Minnesota United. (This one is for Ben.)
  • Surly, Lake Monster, Bauhaus, Indeed, Urban Growler,  Rails and Ales FTW.
  • Bike trails. The River Road. Minnehaha Falls and Wabun Picnic Area practically in our backyard.
  • The State Fair.
  • A plethora of options for summer camps and classes for the kids. We're already so busy this summer!
  • Many job opportunities for Ben and me.
  • Free ice skating at Groveland. Free sledding all over the place. Broomball. (Also for Ben.)
  • Coffee shops aplenty, including a local bean roaster and a coffee shop with an entire play area for the kids.
  • Coffee shops seem like a lame one to end on, but I can't think of anything else right now. What am I missing, Twin Cities friends??
There. I feel better. But spring, you are welcome any time. (Summer, don't get any ideas. We need at least a week of spring first, okay?)







2 comments:

  1. Ha! Great list!! I would add:

    • We get to claim Prince!
    • Minnesotans are diverse, educated, open-minded (mostly) and politically active (mostly)
    • Our awesome academic community
    • Winters are cold. We have snowstorms in April. There's no escaping summer hailstorms and tornadoes. Fall can be soggy (or on the heat index). We roll with it ... it makes us HARDY. Our crazy weather ties everyone together in some weird way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talking about this with coworkers and one thing we could all agree on - Minnesota weather means NO tarantulas, fire ants, rattlesnakes, alligators, geckos, lizards, and all sorts of other critters that live all year round in warmer places. I will take the mosquitos, the snow and the random mouse if I never have to open my door to a rattlesnake on my front porch!

    But these are all good reminders because the snow pissed me off royally last weekend when it ruined my Me-Time plans (I don't get that time often!).

    ReplyDelete