Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bits and Pieces: End of Summer

Time is a funny thing. It goes fast, says everyone (including me). Here I am, almost 34 years old, with a 2-year-old daughter. Wasn't I just freaking out about turning 30? Didn't I just graduate from college? Where did that time go? And yet, right now I don't remember what it is like not to be pregnant. I feel like I've been pregnant my entire life. What is it like not to have an enormous belly? Could I ever walk up stairs without getting winded? Could I get out of bed in a graceful manner, rather than heaving my entire body over the side? (Actually, graceful is not a word that I would ever use to describe myself, even when not pregnant.) Have I ever not been tired?

I almost had a panic attack on Sunday when I was saying goodbye to my mom after a visit. "Next time I see you, you'll be a mother for the second time!" she said. And although I realize my due date is less than a month from now, it still seems so far away. It is still the future. I have all SORTS of time. Right?

Summer is over, even though it is supposed to be 90 again by Friday. Time-wise, this summer felt long, in a good way. We moved into a new house, we traveled, we spent a lot of time at the park. We ate grilled food and sweet corn. Clare and Ben went to the Fair. By the way, is it too cliche to complain about the heat? Probably, but I am going to anyway. Being pregnant in this heat and humidity SUCKS. Thank goodness for the little reprieve we are getting. I was getting stabby.

Clare, though, does not seem to mind the heat. She loves her water table and the playground, even if she is dripping in sweat by her second time down the slide.  She is also exercising her independence. When we are at the park, we are told in no uncertain terms to sit on the bench while she goes off to play.

We have also been having a lot of night time dance parties. Well, Clare and Ben dance, I sit on the couch and watch. Clare has always loved music, and lately she has started telling us which songs on the radio she likes and doesn't like. Her current favorite bands are Vampire Weekend, Mumford and Sons, and Daft Punk.

She knows her basic shapes and colors, and is learning to count. She sings constantly. She is starting to role play - pretending she is a doctor (she actually sat in the doctor's chair at one of my appointments, asked me questions, and pretended to type my answers into the computer), or putting her baby to bed. She also pretends she is washing her hands. A lot. Yes, it is weird.

Her favorite game is catch, and she loves to go on walks or runs. She and Ben will run around the block. She did not get this love of running from me, that is for sure.

I enjoyed having this summer with Clare, just the two of us. It is weird to think that in a few weeks we will be a family of four. And time will probably speed up once again.


Laundry baskets are fun.
She loves sweet corn, but did NOT like it when she got a little piece of corn silk in her mouth.

Nom nom nom.
Her first selfie.

Water table!

At Teddy Bear Park in Stillwater, with her friends Alice and Carter.

Fun at the Fair. I stayed home this year. That was fine with me.






Last weekend, we went to La Crosse to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday. Clare loves her great grandparents, and I am so happy she's gotten to know them, and that they've gotten to know her. My grandmother volunteers at a hospital, and a local news station did a story about her on her birthday. My grandma told us that one of the other volunteers came up to her and said, "Well, I'm 92 and no one ever did a story about me." I guess you can be jealous at any age. My grandmother's party was very nice. Clare was just glad there was cake. 




Oh, and there's this. 36 weeks. You know your belly is big when many of your maternity clothes don't fit anymore. 




3 comments:

  1. YAY I know that shirt!! You look awesome. I can't believe you're due soon, either. CRAZY. So much anticipation!! But what a great little family you're going to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post brought a smile to my face...maybe because I think most of us think/thought those same things at one time or another. While I missed you a bunch this summer, I'm so glad I could spend a little bit of summer with you through this blog. You've had lots of fun times/memories since March! I can't wait to hear the news and see pictures of the little missy or mister. :0) Enjoy the rest of your one-on-one time with Clare...shoot Emily, you're still not due until next month. Plenty of time! :0) (another smiley face necessary!)

    Misty

    P.S., I remember your excitement for turning 30. It really doesn't seem that long ago!

    P.P.S., I'm sure after baby 2, time will slow down and you will live only in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this:

    "I enjoyed having this summer with Clare, just the two of us. It is weird to think that in a few weeks we will be a family of four. And time will probably speed up once again."

    It's true!

    And your family of four is going to be AMAZING. I just know it.

    P.S.
    Did you give any more thought to an end-of-summer BBQ, or just too much work?

    ReplyDelete