Friday, January 22, 2021

Hope


I haven't wanted to write anything about the change in our national leadership, because I thought prematurely celebrating Joe Biden's presidency might somehow jinx it. (I realize whatever I do actually wouldn't change the outcome, but what can I say.)

Until Wednesday, I didn't realize the weight that has been on my shoulders these past four years.  After Biden was officially President, I felt happier than I have in a long time. I know we have a long way to go, and that there are many, many people who are not feeling the happiness and relief I have been feeling the last few days. There will be shenanigans and there is much work to be done. But finally, finally, I feel hope that we can change for the better. 

I saw an Onion article that jokingly said Biden's inaugural address continued into the night as he listed all of the issues facing this country. And it's true - there are many. But just knowing that I don't have to be scared every time the President opens his mouth is a relief. All of the executive orders he signed on day one are a step in the right direction. I believe he is a good person who will do his best, and now that the Democrats have control of the Senate, there is no reason for them not to charge forward to make change. 

And now, can we talk about Kamala? Another surprise for me has been how emotional it was for me to finally see a woman in national office. I cried when she got elected. I cried while watching her speak a few days after the election. And I cried the most watching Clare watch a woman being sworn in as Vice President. This is a big deal. Christopher was concerned when he saw me crying, but I tried to explain it to him. How important this is. I think he understood. I hope so.

After the election four years ago I wrote about how much I was grieving and what I was going to do about it. That included volunteering for organizations that I hoped would make a difference, despite our leadership. And that hasn't changed. I am not taking my foot off the gas, even though I am so happy we have a President and Vice President we can be proud of. This is no time to be complacent. These past four years it was hard to believe we could work together to make the world a better place. But now, I have hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment