Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Recent Clare-isms

We were out to dinner the other night and Clare was her usual talkative self. A man eating at a nearby table turned to me and said, "Your daughter has such a beautiful speaking voice. She speaks so clearly." I thanked him while Clare literally sank to the floor in embarrassment. It's true, though. She has one or two verbal tics (hunderwear), but overall she speaks like an adult. (She definitely ACTS like a 4-year-old, though.) Here are a few of her recent gems.
***
Clare and I were shopping at Target. I noticed Clare staring at another woman shopping in the same aisle. This woman was dressed in a Burka. I was getting nervous because Clare was looking at her so intently, and I was worried she would say something that would offend the woman. Suddenly, Clare announced in amazement: "She doesn't have a basket OR a cart!" Whew.
***
We went to Lunds. I was looking at a pretty decorative wreath, but decided not to buy it because it was $45. As we were driving out of the parking lot later, Clare noticed a man begging for money at the parking lot entrance. She had questions. I explained to her what he was doing, and why we typically don't give money to people begging on the streets. (We prefer to give money to organizations who can distribute it fairly and better determine who needs the assistance. And I rarely carry cash.) Clare seemed to accept this. Then, a few minutes later: "Mommy, if you want that wreath maybe you should stand on the corner and ask people for money." So then we had a discussion about how we earn money, and making good decisions with the money we have.
***
My mom, sister and I are planners. We love talking about plans. We are the type of people who are planning dinner while we are at the restaurant eating lunch. (Note: we can be flexible if our plans change. It just means more plans to talk about!) You can imagine my joy and Ben's extreme dismay now that we have discovered that Clare also enjoys talking about plans. She and I discuss plans for the day and plans for the week. (Part of this is her temperament. It helps with her anxiety to know what's coming.) During one of our planning discussions, she turned to Ben and said, "Daddy, you should try talking about planning. You might like it!" I laughed. Ben slowly shook his head. 

Sorry Ben, your daughter is my mini-me.

Pre-K school picture!



3 comments:

  1. So cute - all of it!

    Maisy went on and on and on about the woman with "pink hair" at Target last weekend. And she was always in the same aisle as us! All she was saying was, "She has pink hair!" (I think she thought it was pretty) But she kept repeating it like 2 year olds tend to do. And NOT quietly. Uffda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how their little brains process information. And I LOVE that Clare is a mini-Emily, because that means TWICE the funny comments and insights! She is such a smart & beautiful little girl. (Takes after her mom there, too.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so eminently lovable. It's so fun to watch these little humans emerge and express themselves.

    ReplyDelete