Saturday, October 31, 2015

Bits and Pieces: October

I am done with the monthly photos of Christopher, but I want to keep doing a monthly update of some kind. I'll probably break out the moose and the dinosaur on the kids' birthdays, though. Do you think they'll still humor me when they're teenagers? I hope so.

This fall has been kind of a mixed bag. We've had some fun, but everyone had two colds within a month. Then I had a horrible stomach flu. Then Ben had the horrible stomach bug. Still in suspense as to whether not anyone else will get the horrible stomach bug.

Adjusting to our new schedule has been challenging. All of us have had our issues, except Josie. My niece is just getting funnier and more fearless by the day. Christopher misses his sister. He cries when she leaves. Clare is exhausted after school, especially towards the end of the week, and therefore more prone to tantrums and defiance. And I am getting used to a new schedule too, one that has me seeing less of my friends and Clare. It is hard spending so much time alone with a 2-year-old and 10-month-old, and has me actually thinking it might be time to go back to work. I just need to remember that I was in a similar situation two years ago. It took me awhile to find my groove after Christopher was born, and I need some time to figure out this new schedule, too.

Clare loves school, though, despite her tiredness. She has made several friends and seems to like her teacher. She has blossomed since school started - she is more articulate and more confident. She has started taking gymnastics. She loves that, too, and it is a better place to funnel her energy than the obstacle courses she sets up in the living room. (I blame American Ninja Warrior.)

Christopher is enjoying expressing his opinions, especially if his opinion is "NO." He has a new word every day. Last weekend he started speaking in two word sentences. "Mommy back." "Josie cry." Blankie mine." He also sings along with songs, but does not like it when I sing along. I love listening to him sing, though.

***

We went to an apple orchard on one of the many beautiful fall days we had this month. The kids had a blast picking apples and pumpkins while I tried to soak in as much sun as I could.






***
Until the day before Halloween, Clare wanted to be a pirate princess. She'd talked about it for weeks. We had the costume and Christopher was going to be her parrot. The day before Halloween she decided to be a magic butterfly instead. I found myself arguing with her in the car about it. I wanted pictures of Clare and Christopher in their coordinated outfits. Then I took a breath and realized I should not be fighting with my daughter about her Halloween costume. She went as a magic butterfly.

We had a fun Halloween. Ben ran a half marathon in the morning, and we made it just in time to see him run by on Fairview and Summit. Then we all went to a Halloween party at a friend's house, followed by dinner with my parents and Katie and Andrew, and of course, trick or treating. Clare didn't stay out as long as I thought she would. She had a great time, though. Christopher had fun getting all of the "cookies" although he tore off his parrot costume before heading out the door. He was willing to wear the hat, however.

Now, off to raid the kids' candy buckets.



Group picture attempts were futile.



3 comments:

  1. I'm finding my groove, too! Let's get together. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids are soooo cute!!

    OK, so I just heard about this last week from Maeg - but she swears by it. Just something to keep in mind - and maybe add a cup of grape juice to the breakfast menu for the kids?

    http://musthavemom.com/2012/01/stomp-out-stomach-flu-with-grape-juice.html

    http://www.yumyucky.com/2013/11/avoid-stomach-flu-vomit.html

    It may be an old wives tale, but it can't HURT, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you stopped yourself mid-argument and realized "the juice wasn't worth the squeeze" (a quote that will always remind me of A). In the end, you were happy, Clare was happy, & Christopher was oblivious and happy. Good job, Mama!

    I imagine I would feel the same way if I was home all day with the kids. Is there some type of in-home daycare resource center you could utilize for ideas/encouragement/inspiration?

    Cute pics from the apple orchard/pumpkin patch.

    We need to schedule a girls' night out SOON!

    ReplyDelete