Thursday, June 11, 2020

First Day/Last Day/Birthday





The kids had their last day of Distance Learning on Tuesday. It was a weird end to the school year, to say the least. They haven't been in school since March 9th, which is hard to believe. Each day felt long, but here we are in June, somehow.

I now have a 4th grader and 1st grader, which is also hard to believe. I seem to be surprised every year when they finish another grade. This year is especially bittersweet, because they are both saying goodbye to beloved teachers. Clare had Mr. Horton for three years, and he was wonderful. I feel so lucky that she had such an amazing teacher. Christopher had Ms. Angela for two years, and we will miss her as well. Christopher loved pre-K and Kindergarten. We'll find out who their new teachers are in August. I know whoever they have for a teacher they will do well.

On the last day of school, Clare's teacher gave a nice presentation on each third grader. He talked about how Clare had changed since first grade, when she would finish all her work by 9 a.m. and not know what to do. He said Clare is ambitious, and learned how to challenge herself, and also be herself. He asked the kids in the class to describe her, and they said she is thoughtful, nice, helpful and "very cool". I may have cried while eavesdropping on this class meeting.

I asked Clare what her favorite thing was about third grade. Her answer: "My friends." We have missed those friends dearly over the last few months. She finally got to see Natalie in a socially-distanced setting, which was good for her. Her least favorite thing: "I don't know." I guess it is good that she couldn't come up with anything.

And Christopher? Well, he refused to answer my questions, but I know he loved building with blocks, eating lunch at school, and going outside for recess. He did not like it when the kids in his class misbehaved during group time.

We celebrated Clare's birthday last weekend with a pinata, pizza and a Dairy Queen Oreo blizzard cake. The best part, though, was getting to see family members in person. This was good for all of us. Of course, my mom and I spent a lot of time worrying that we were doing something wrong, but we were following the rules.

Clare was given a pogo stick, roller blades, and lots of Legos. We are lofting her bed this weekend, and she gets to pick out a new rug for her room. She was happy.

And now it is on to summer. I read my summary of last summer today, and it made me want to cry. We will not be able to do most of the things we did last year. I am going to try my best to make this one fun, though. We'll see how it goes.






Social distance Kindergarten graduation! Christopher was thrilled to see his teachers in person. He will miss them next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment