Friday, March 18, 2016

Daylight Saving Time Bites

I am blaming it all on Daylight Saving Time. My bad mood, the kids' inability to sleep through the night, Christopher's refusal to take naps. It has to be connected, right? Everyone just seems a little off. I am glad it is Friday, anyway. Even if my bracket was completely and utterly destroyed today. (Thanks A LOT Michigan State.)

We had to take Christopher to the dentist today. His face collided with a dining room chair yesterday. There was blood, but he calmed down fairly quickly, so I didn't think much of it. Then Ben told me he noticed some blood while he was brushing his teeth that night. When Christopher complained of pain while trying to bite into an apple, I pinned him down to take a look. His lower front tooth did not look quite right. And there was bruising on his gums. Uh-oh. Yes, you guessed it: the tooth is loose. The dentist wanted to take an x-ray to make sure the tooth is not fractured, but Christopher was in hysterics so that did not happen.  The dentist said that the tooth may firm back up, but if not, it might have to be pulled. That kid.

On the way home from the dentist, Clare asked me many detailed questions about Jesus, God, and death. Needless to say, I needed a drink.

As for my bad mood, I am just having one of those weeks. I am sick of looking at other people's poop and putting on other people's shoes. I am sure it is because I am tired due to the aforementioned children not sleeping through the night.

I take an ECFE class once a week, which I normally love. However, sometimes it makes me spiral. The teacher or speaker offers information about what we should or should not say to our kids, and all of the things we do need to tell our kids to keep them safe, and I start to think I am DOING IT ALL WRONG and my kids will be SCARRED FOR LIFE. Probably not, though, right?

And at least there are moments like this, however brief:


Also: this face. Face paint by Christopher, courtesy of the Minnesota Children's Museum.




3 comments:

  1. OK, I'm starting to get really worried since Ruby, Christopher, Ben AND Adam have all had recent tooth trauma! We MUST be next, then, right?!

    And I'm sorry you're grumpy and YES DST sucks big time. Fall back was much worse for us then spring ahead, but I get it. Parenting is no joke.

    And you are doing awesome - forget those ECFE things. Take it all with a grain of salt. Anything they say that you agree with and do already, YAY. Those things they say that you don't do or don't agree with, forget 'em. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG we are in the same headspace. I mean, with the grumpy kids and tooth problems, and NO SLEEP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I can relate to you with the tooth issues!!! Ben knocked his front tooth out at 14 months, so he's been a toothless wonder ever since. Just this year, he had his other front tooth pulled, multiple cavities filled AND a "silver tooth" put on, then Adam collided with his friend at the school dance and spit two teeth out in the sink and knocked his front teeth out of alignment, so yeah,it's been a SUPER fun year of dentist appointments for the kiddos! (ha ha haaaa)
    Ben has had laughing gas twice now & there's still excessive screaming and crying during appointments.

    I know you don't need my approval, but for what it's worth, I think you're an excellent mom. And if YOU are doing it all wrong, then I'm REALLY doing it all wrong!

    I laughed when you said you're sick of looking at other people's poop and putting on other people's shoes. Ahh, the GLAMOUR of motherhood. ;)

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete