Thursday, September 10, 2015

First Day of Pre-K


There were tears shed. By me. Clare did just fine. She has been looking forward to starting school for weeks. The thing she was most excited about? Taking the bus. I hope the novelty doesn't wear off, because she is going to spend at least half an hour on the bus every morning. She was so eager to get on the bus this morning that I couldn't even get a picture. I do have a lovely shot of the bus driver, though.

I baked banana bread for a special breakfast today. She helped. We also went out to dinner to celebrate her first day, her pick. She chose Snuffy's, of course.

Ben took the day off, so I decided to follow the bus to school. Yes, I am one of those parents. I can't help it. It is scary putting your 4-year-old on the bus and sending her off into the world.  I didn't actually follow it the whole way, I just went to the school to make sure she got there okay. I saw her get off the bus, talking to another little girl. She looked so grown-up.  (Note, and this is important: Clare had no idea I was following the bus and did not see me when I was at the school.)

When she got home, she didn't want to tell me much about her day at first. Later, she was laying on the kitchen floor when she said, "I did okay today, Mom, I didn't even play by myself. I just played with other kids." She paused. "Sometimes I am shy when I first meet people, but I wasn't today." She sounded surprised. I told her she was getting better at meeting new people, because she's had lots of practice. I am so happy she had such a good day.

Waiting for the bus.

 Christopher taking a coffee break while waiting for Clare.

Getting off the bus at the end of the day.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like it needs to be pointed out that her outfit it so cool! Clare has style!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! So wonderful! I'm glad she did so great.

    (My BFF followed the bus to school, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made it through the hardest part and kept it together (at least in front of Clare). Good job, mama!! And I love that Clare is coming out of her shell. I think you're going to have A LOT of cute school stories to share this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I cried when I read Clare's revelation. What a brave girl!

    ReplyDelete