Monday, September 7, 2015

End of Summer

I think I'll start with my favorite Clare-ism of late. My parents babysat for us on Saturday so Ben and I could drink a lot of beer and ride on the light rail wearing matching T-shirts. (Rails and Ales: super fun!) Clare and my mom were playing restaurant.

Clare: "How do you like your ice cream?"

My mom: "It's really good."

Clare: "I stored it in my hunderwear!"

My mom: Slowly spits out her pretend ice cream...

Yes, she says hunder instead of under. Maybe it was all the beer, but I couldn't stop laughing when my mom told me the story.

Anyway.

We tried camping again at the begin of August, despite the mixed results from the first trip. This trip was worse, mainly because everyone but Clare had a bad cold. We stayed for one night and then gave up. Clare had fun, at least. We were at Blue Mounds State Park in southern Wisconsin. It is beautiful, and they have a nice pool, but even that wasn't enough to motivate us to stay longer. Christopher is at a hard age for this type of thing, too, mostly because he doesn't seem to think it's a problem to run into the road or walk through the fire pit while there is a fire blazing. Next year?





***

We were invited to a friend's cabin for a few days in mid-August. The kids and I went during the week, ditching poor Ben. It was really nice. The best part, though, was that Clare actually went tubing! It was a tube with sides that she could sit down in, and she had a blast. I was really impressed, considering her usual fearful nature. She has definitely become braver this summer.

***

At the end of the month, we went to Golden Eagle Lodge on the Gunflint Trail for the third year in a row. Being up north is so relaxing. Even with an almost two-year-old, I feel like I can breath better up there.





***

Clare and Ben are really in to the Fair.


I can take it or leave it, but if I have some beer and some Sweet Martha's Cookies I am usually happy enough.


Christopher hates it.


He did manage to choke down a few cookies, though.

We had one final summer playdate this morning with our neighborhood friends. The best part of a Labor Day playdate? The husband of one of my friends delivered Chipotle to the park.

Another good summer in the books. Now, time to get ready for another new routine.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the photo recap!!! And doesn't Clare know you can't store ice cream in your HUNDERWEAR!? It will melt! (ha ha!) What a funny story.

    Kudos to your big girl for being brave enough to go tubing! I bet she'll be talking about that adventure for a LONG time.

    And the last photo of Christoper is how I feel about the Fair after a certain point. Aaron and I went on Saturday, when it was STEAMY and sweaty and the smells (good and bad) were amplified by 100 (DEODERANT, PEOPLE!). We arrived at 4 p.m., walked around for three hours (drank a ridiculous amount of beer), went to the Avett Brothers concert, got a bucket of Sweet Martha's after the show, went down the Giant Slide, then went home. That was the perfect amount of Fair for me. Any more than that & I think I would've been sitting on the grass like Christopher, looking extremely annoyed/crabby.

    ReplyDelete