Friday, October 11, 2013

One Week


I just looked back to see what I wrote about Clare at one week. All I posted was a picture. Not helpful, self of two years ago! Christopher is busy being a baby. Crying, eating, sleeping (except for between the hours of 11 p.m. and 3 a.m.), and pooping all on an endless loop. We are tired. He is very cuddly though, and has hardly lost any of his birth weight.  He is in the 90th percentile for height and weight. Christopher gets very angry when he is not immediately attended to, and has the most pathetic sad face you have ever seen. I'll have to try to get a picture of it. I remember Clare being more alert at this point than Christopher is - but who knows, since all I posted about Clare at this age was a picture.

Speaking of the big sister, she seems to be adjusting well. Or well-ish, anyway. She came back from the park yesterday, saw me in the kitchen, and demanded to know where Christopher was. She likes to snuggle with him, and calls him "our baby." She sang him a lullaby the other night. I so wish the video camera had been nearby. It was very sweet. On the other hand, she is much quicker to throw a tantrum than she was before. She has told me to put the baby down a few times. I think the real test will be when Ben goes back to work and it is just the three of us here on our own. I have been a bit impatient with her - due to sleep deprivation - and I am going to try my best not to be.

Today we went to lunch with my brother and sister and their spouses, and we were talking about our weekend plans. I had a sudden flash of jealousy of their freedom, and all of the things they were doing this weekend, while I knew I was going to be home with a newborn and two-year-old, covered in spit up. I wished, just for a moment, that I had the same freedom. But then I got to cuddle with Christopher, and watch Clare dance around the family room, and I knew there was nowhere else I'd rather be. I'd just like to get a little more sleep.








3 comments:

  1. He's such a beautiful baby!! I'm looking forward to snuggling with him. :)

    I remember those flashes of jealousy all too well, esp one 'episode' when my family came over to see Adam right after he was born and then—after a short visit—everyone left to go to an open house where my dad used to work (they had to wear hard hats on the tour of the steel mill, not exactly baby-friendly). I started crying as soon as the door closed behind them.

    Does Ben return to work next Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. a moose instead of a dragon? He seems pretty big next to it already!
    And you can always ask your grandma about handling two young kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's DARLING. You're on to week 2 - it goes slow/fast, doesn't it?

    I have pangs of jealousy nearly every day. Especially Sunday afternoons after a long weekend juggling them both. But yes, when Mason gets Maisy to giggle uncontrollably for 5 straight minutes, then I forget about it. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete