Friday, January 28, 2022

January

I meant to write a year-end wrap up post awhile ago. I didn't, obviously. And now I am at the point in January where I don't feel like doing anything and I am sick of being cold. I will say that the change in light has started to be noticeable, and that helps my mood somewhat. What else?

I have read a few excellent books. That is also a mood lifter.

Right now, Josie and Christopher are making lemon squares in the kitchen. The smell of lemon and their chatter is making me happy.

Clare has been practicing for her winter piano recital. I enjoy the sound of her playing.

The kids are in school. (Knock on wood.)

Christopher made a stop-motion movie with some friends. He had this to say about it:

"Mom, parental warning: there is violence. Most of these animals are going to die."

We are healthy. (Knock on wood.)

Clare and I went to a gymnastics meet.  It was so nice to get out of the house and have some one-on-one time.

We had a birthday party for my mom last week. Clare got really into planning games and activities (including my favorite, pin the glasses on Meema Jo).

And even though it feels like a million years ago now, we had a nice Christmas.  My dear friends and I all took tests and were able to have our annual Office Party (minus Heather). It was wonderful. We got to go to Ben's family party this year. I worried, but now that I know we didn't get sick I am glad we went. The week before Christmas, I really wasn't feeling it. But when the day actually came, I enjoyed it.  Christmas Eve we had Ben's parents here for lunch, and Christmas Eve was spent at Katie's. That is always a highlight. Christmas day we hosted dinner for Ben's family. We missed Sally and Mike, who were sick, but were happy that Ben's parents and brother and sister-in-law were able to join us. New Year's was spent in Wisconsin. Despite some car problems, we had a great weekend at the Cuckoo House.

So I guess that summary of the holidays is my 2021 wrap-up. January is almost over, and I know February will be long. I'll just have to come up with some more things to be happy about that month. I know it won't be the Packers winning the Super Bowl. But maybe the Olympics will be fun to watch?

Anyway, without further rambling, here are some pictures from December. They are out of order, and once again I am too lazy to fix it. So we'll start with New Year's Day and work our way back.


New Year's Day Poker match. Christopher is super into poker and received chips for Christmas. He's not bad, either. (Note: yes, I started dry January a day late so I could drink a martini.)

Cozy football watching at the Cuckoo House.

Reading with Pikachu, another favorite Christmas gift.

We went to this neat light display in Janesville. Christopher hated it and complained the whole time, but the rest of us enjoyed it.


Presents the day after Christmas.

Christmas dinner!

Christmas breakfast!

Very excited about his waffle maker. We've had some delicious waffles since.



Waiting to be allowed downstairs on Christmas morning.

Putting out treats for Santa, even though neither of them believe anymore. Which is sad in a way, but also easier.

Decorating a gingerbread house, before it all went to crap. We are done with those, I think.

We went to the Nutcracker! I have to say, it was one of the worst performances I've seen, but blah blah probably due to COVID limiting rehearsal time. We still had fun.


Christmas cookie decorating! I made lots of all of my usual cookies this year. 


Virtual cookie decorating with Josie and Otto.

Annual shopping trip plus peppermint mocha with Clare.

Tree decorating.


Carrying our tree home from the tree lot next to our house.

Picking out the tree!


No comments:

Post a Comment