Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Summer 2021

It is technically still summer, even though I am slowly going into fall mode with back to school and some cooler weather. Since it is still summer, though, I am not too late with this post about summer! Summer!

By far the highlight of our summer was a visit from our VIPs in London: Robby, Andri, Marios and Dinos. We were so, so happy to finally see each other in person after two years and four months apart. The kids were thrilled to spend time with their cousins and aunt and uncle, and it was our first time meeting Dinos! I couldn't stop cuddling him. Seeing them in person made me realize even more how much I've missed them all. I am hoping to see them again in April in London. I know I can't go two years without a visit again.

We all gathered at my parents' house, and spent time at the pool, went to parks and the Zoo, and even managed to fit in a Brewers game in Milwaukee. Some people ended up getting sick. (Not COVID.) I didn't, but I felt sorry for the others, including Christopher. We had lots of good food and drinks and just TIME together. It was really wonderful.

 Other than our time with family, we had a pretty packed summer. Clare and Christopher did a clay camp at Northern Clay Center, which they loved. Christopher did a theater camp, which he hated. Clare went to sleepaway Girl Scout camp, which is pretty much her favorite thing ever. She learned how to do the flying trapeze! I am just so impressed with her courage. She once again didn't know anyone ahead of time, but came home with piles of new friends. Luckily, she got to go before Delta reared its ugly head. 

Clare played soccer, Christopher played baseball. Clare's skills are improving, Christopher had the most fun making seal noises in the outfield. (The team mascot was the seal.) The first game I attended I kept hearing this strange noise and couldn't figure out what it was. I eventually realized it was coming out of my son. 

We spent the Fourth of July in Evansville, as per usual. The full fourth experience was back in full swing and we took it all in: the race (Christopher beat Clare!), the parade (there is still parade candy in my house), the festival grounds (beer and ice cream), and of course the fireworks. We also had a cookout at my parents' house.

Going in the way back machine to the beginning of summer, Ben and Christopher spent a weekend camping with the Cub Scouts. Clare and I had a great time just the two of us. We went shopping, went to the pool, got take out for dinner and watched a movie. On Sunday morning, we sat outside at Caribou and had treats and played Trivial Pursuit. I really enjoyed our one on one time.

Also from the beginning of summer: Clare's 10th birthday party. We kept is simple this year with a pizza and ice cream pie party with her local cousins, aunt and uncle, great aunt and uncle and grandparents. We had a pinata, too. Clare was excited to receive some gift cards to buy new clothes (fast forward to the end of summer and she was able to go on a special shopping trip with her Aunt Katie) and some new Legoes. 

We managed to squeeze in some time with friends, including a beach day, a trip to Minnesota's largest candy store, and some time at the pool. I got to go on a weekend away to New Ulm. It was lovely. 

The kids discovered they love water slides, and we spent time at two different water slide parks. 

At the end of summer, we spent a few days on the north shore of Lake Superior with Ben's parents. It was so beautiful and relaxing. Lake Superior is my happy place. We spent Labor Day weekend in our camper at my friend Heather's cabin in Shell Lake, WI. It is such a beautiful setting. I told Ben I wanted to buy land there. I think he is actually considering it.

And lest you think that is the only time we spent in our camper, oh ho. We camped for nearly two weeks on an epic western road trip. I think I'll save that for another post.

The kids are back in school and it has been an okay start to the year. I mean, why wouldn't it be? Everything is normal and fine.

The kids had fun playing water games at Clare's birthday party.

Presents! I still can't believe she is 10.



Proud Slytherin.


Trivia time at Caribou!

One of several trips to the Highland Pool.

We took our annual trip to Como Town. Christopher was happy that he could ride the rollercoaster. After he got off, he informed me that it wasn't for him.



Luxury at the pool on a visit to my parents' house.



Patio dining at the Tap! We have missed that place. It is still not the same as going inside, but we enjoyed it.

The kids saved up and helped pay for a Nintendo Switch! I have also had fun playing on it.

We went to Cave of the Mounds on Ben's birthday. Everyone really enjoyed it! I hadn't been since I was a kid, but it is a really cool cave.

Parade time at the Evansville 4th!







Annual Flag Cake.

Annual selfie at the fireworks.

We went mini golfing - this hippo has been on the course since I was a kid. Which makes it old.

This is how they hug.

Cool 3D picture at Minnesota's largest candy store.

Clare hosted an English tea party for Meema Mary Theresa and our neighbor, Jean. We were sad to say goodbye to our neighbors this summer! They moved away. We will miss them, but a family with seven-year-old twin boys moved in next door, so we have hope that Christopher will have some built-in friends next door!

We FINALLY made it to Fort Snelling!

Clare packed and ready to go to Girl Scout camp.

Christopher got a special night out with mom and dad while she was gone.

Caught in the wild - a very rare sight indeed. 

Reunited!

The kids had so much fun. At one point they were watching Olympic soccer and Rob called it football. Christopher: "It's soccer. You're in America now, boy. Hamilton! Revolution!"


The adults got motion sickness and Christopher sprained his toe, but other than that the bounce house was a huge success. Kitty litter ftw.

We tried so hard to get a decent picture of all of them together. We ate cheese curds and other things on the Union Terrace in Madison. Clare: "I am going to go to school here and order the biggest size cheese curds just for myself." You do you, Clare.

Book time.

Out to eat at Monty's Blue Plate Diner. One of our few indoor dining experiences of the past year and a half.

Clare and Otto at the Brewers game.

Skipping over our trip out west to our time at a cabin on Lake Superior. Baba Steve taught Christopher how to play poker. I am so glad they got that time together.

They sort of swam in Lake Superior.

Hiking at Temperance River State Park.

A rooftop concert in downtown Minneapolis. Jeremy Messersmith was so good, as was the wine and the company. It was just lovely being able to hear live music again, and the setting was hard to beat.

End of summer trip to Bunker Beach! They loved the wave pool.



No comments:

Post a Comment