Thursday, September 24, 2020

Distance Learning 2020






I wish I could say that, after nearly three weeks of Distance Learning, we have this thing figured out and under control. We are so far from that I could cry. And I do. There are so many things that are hard about this. For Clare, it is not seeing friends on a regular basis. For Christopher, it is everything school-related, even though he is perfectly capable of doing the work.

The teachers are amazing. They have done a wonderful job with what they have to work with. Clare has a new teacher this year, and I have been super impressed with her and the level and quality of work Clare has been given to complete. We know Christopher's teacher well (he was Clare's teacher for the last three years), and he is dedicated and works so incredibly hard. Nothing that is hard about this is the teachers' fault.

The transition from kindergarten to first grade has been tricky for Christopher. There is a lot more work, and it is hard. He is so capable, but he gets himself worked up about the smallest things and then cannot function. (On the first day of school he claimed he forgot how to hold a pencil.)

I sometimes consider un-enrolling them. Could I homeschool or unschool? Would that be easier? Probably not. And enrollment is already way down in our district. I don't want to take away the funds they receive for our students. We have good days, but it just sometimes doesn't seem worth it. I want to do what is best for the kids. I know this isn't it. I listen to the kids at recess at the school next door (a private school, which is fully open). I know it is hard for my two to hear the kids having fun with their friends. But the private school is not an option for many reasons, one of them being that it doesn't seem safe. There are just no good choices right now.

Today, however, the kids decided they are going to open a shop to sell bracelets and pictures they took with Clare's Polaroid. (They will be selling these things to me and Ben, and maybe their grandma.) They are having so much fun. They are being creative. They were outside for a long time taking pictures of "beautiful things" they saw on their walk. I think Clare has completed her work. I know Christopher hasn't. And I just don't really care. They are being kids and I am going to let them do this as long as they want. Maybe we'll get Christopher's work done. Maybe not.

Just like with everything these days, we'll keep moving forward. Take things one day at a time. It is all we can do.








No comments:

Post a Comment