Saturday, March 3, 2018

The Oscars: 2018

It's that time of year again! I saw almost all of the nominees for Best Picture. Even with the Oscars airing later thanks to the Olympics, I still missed two. I guess I was too busy watching the Olympics to get to the theater. Sorry, Call me by Your Name and Darkest Hour.

In addition to the Best Picture nominees, I saw I, Tonya. Allison Janney was brilliant. I really liked it, and it fit in well with all of my Olympics watching.

I have to saw, this collection of nominees were not my favorite. I much preferred last year's movies. Anyway, here are my mini reviews.

7. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: The more I thought about this one after seeing it, the less I liked it. The acting was excellent, and probably worthy of the Oscars Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are likely to win. However, the story itself was disappointing on many levels. I don't want to spoil it, but I'll just say that redemption via a letter from beyond the grave does not work for me.

6. Phantom Thread: Daniel Day-Lewis is always good, and I enjoyed the behind the scenes look at fashion in the 1940s. But then this movie takes a very bizarre turn that I am not sure I liked. Actually, I am sure. I didn't like it.

5. Dunkirk: This one was interesting. It's not your standard war movie. There is very little dialogue - the movie lets the action tell the story. As with most war movies, it is violent and hard to watch at times. It was an interesting way to tell a story, though.

4.  Shape of Water: This one managed to be completely unique and totally cliche at the same time. Basically, it's a love story between a woman and a giant man fish. If that doesn't sound interesting to you, I wouldn't bother with this one. (Also, there is some gruesome violence.)

3. Get Out: So good. So freaky. So happy this was nominated for Best Picture.

2. The Post: I really liked this one. I wish it was getting more awards love, because I thought it was really well done. It takes place in the 1970s, but is absolutely a commentary on Trump. As a former newspaper reporter, I always enjoy journalism movies. And you can't go wrong with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in your cast. People in the theater were actually cheering during this movie.

1. Lady Bird: This was beautifully shot, directed and acted. I was worried that it would hit too close to my future home as a story about a mother and her teenage daughter, but it really didn't. After this movie my friends and I noted that we are now old enough that we were sympathizing with the mother rather than the teenager. This was the first one I saw, and it ended up being my favorite.


Should Win: Lady Bird
Will Win: Shape of Water*

*This is the least confident I have ever been in my pick. We'll see if I can win the Oscar contest for the third year in a row!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest reviews. I have seen NONE of these movies and now I know I should see "The Post" and "Lady Bird" for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! WELL DONE. You called it. :)

    I saw two of the animated movies - yay Coco! And some of the other lesser nominated: The Big Sick (loved it, and wished it wasn't up against Get Out, because it would've won then), Blade Runner, Star Wars...

    I hope to see The Post and Lady Bird someday. It took me months to see La La Land and Moonlight last year, so I expect the same again.

    Gary Oldman is a jerk, I guess. I heard Three Billboards was quite racist and lazy. So both of those wins were disappointments. Though I suppose we can appreciate Frances anyway!

    I struggle with I, Tonya. Why does the villain get the movie and the accolades? What about Nancy? Granted I haven't seen the movie, but that's why I don't really want to. But I love Allison Janney no matter what.

    ReplyDelete