Sunday, February 7, 2016

Ears

Clare had a small surgery on Thursday. She had a tube put in her left ear, as well as an adenoidectomy.  The adenoids are tissue located behind the nasal passages.  She had that tissue removed. It was done at a same day surgery center, and we were only there for a few hours total. It was still stressful, though. I was with her in the operating room when she went under, which was a little disconcerting to see. I didn't want to go back with her, but I knew she wanted me to. I even got to wear a snazzy jumpsuit and hat and boots.

Clare was a champ. She didn't complain (much) about not being able to eat or drink anything that morning. She willingly changed into her hospital gown and walked back to the operating room. She obediently "blew up the balloon" through the gas mask. And then she went to sleep. When we went to see her in recovery, I could hear her little voice before I saw her. The nurse said Clare informed her that she was in pre-k, NOT preschool, and that she had a little brother at home. Clare was calm. No tears. Her recovery has been great. On Friday, she was bouncing off the walls. You would never have guessed she had surgery the day before.

The reason for all of this is that Clare has hearing loss in her left ear. The ear drum in that ear is retracted, and the swollen adenoids were resting on her eustachian tube. We have been dealing with this for awhile, and it became clear that things were not going to correct on their own. Her doctor is confident that her hearing will be fully restored. Time will tell.

Last week, Clare turned to me and said, "Mommy, I love you more than anything in the world. Even more than JOSIE." High praise. I'll try to keep sweet comments like that in mind when I am wrestling her to the floor to administer her ear drops. You would think those would be easier than eye drops, right? I thought so, too. I was wrong.  Despite that, I am proud of how well Clare handled what could have been a pretty scary situation for a little girl.


2 comments:

  1. Been there, Clare. But it sounds like you were a far better patient than me! And I hate those gosh darn ear drops too. They SUCK.

    Glad you're healing - all the better to hear your teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the surgery went well and Clare was such a trooper. She looks adorable in her surgical gear!

    ReplyDelete