Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Road Trip, Part Two

Grandma Jo and I took Clare to meet my paternal grandparents in La Crosse last week. Again, she proved to be a good little traveler when we were on the road.  She started to meltdown when we got close to Madison on the drive home. She'll cry for a few minutes, and then suck on her hands or fall back to sleep. Then she wakes up and cries some more. She did pretty well, though. She was a little worked up during our visit, but I think she was just hot. I get crabby when I am hot, too, so I don't really blame her.

Clare with her Great-Grandpa Bob

Clare with her Great-Grandma and namesake, Clara.
During our visit, my grandfather pulled out a birthday card he sent my grandma in 1944, addressed to Miss Clare Radtke. He wanted to show me that he frequently called my grandmother Clare, rather than by her full name. I think it is great that she saved that card.

I have always been close to my grandparents. My grandma was my confirmation sponsor. I nursed Clare in the room my sister and I used to sleep in when we were kids. I was reflecting on how long ago that seems now. I told Clare about the room and that we used to sleep in there. She seemed unimpressed. It will be fun when she is older and will actually listen to my stories! And, I hope Clare has the same great memories of her grandparents that I do of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment