Thursday, July 14, 2011

Road Trip, Part One

We've taken Clare on two longer road trips over the past few weeks. We went to a wedding shower for my sister in Wausau, and then yesterday my mom and I took Clare to meet her great-grandparents. She did pretty well, except for the occasional meltdown, which is great, because we have family and friends who live far away who we will hopefully visit SOON!

On the way home from Wausau, she decided she had enough of being in the car seat when we were about 45 minutes from home. She woke up, started crying HARD, which is rare for her. (At least until the last two days, when she has been really fussy.) She'd carry on for a few minutes, and then drop back off to sleep. Ten minutes would go by, and she'd wake up and realize SHE WAS STILL IN HER CAR SEAT WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?!? And then fall asleep again. It was hard to hear her cry and not be able to do anything while we were on the Interstate, but it was amusing how quickly she'd give up when she wasn't getting a response. I don't know if that is good or bad.

Our trip to Oostburg went better - she slept the whole way there and back. Her great-grandparents were thrilled - absolutely thrilled - to meet their first great-grandchild. My grandfather has been struggling with illness for years, and is not always aware of who is who, but he had a good day yesterday. He has said for some time now that he wanted a great-granddaughter, and I was so happy that he was able to hold her and that he knew who she was. It was a really special moment.

Clare with Great-Grandpa Jerry.

Clare with Great-Grandma Jean aka Short J.
According to Jean, Clare has her big toe. She said that she won't be too happy about it when she is older. I think that is great.  I am so grateful that all four of my grandparents are still living, and that I get to introduce Clare to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment