Wednesday, October 16, 2019

This is 40

Now that I am 40, I thought I should look back and assess how my life is going so far. Just kidding! I am not opening that door.

It seems like I should be more anxious about turning 40, but I feel calm. Between Christopher starting kindergarten and this milestone birthday, a new chapter is about to begin. That is exciting.

Instead of having a party, Ben and I took a trip together to celebrate both of our 40th birthdays. We spent five days in Michigan. Just us, no kids. We really needed that time together. (And even though Ben would tell you that I was really boring with my conversation topics, we had a nice time. Conversations topics included: how the less than stellar weather didn't affect our activities, and how busy each restaurant we walked by was.)

We first went to Traverse City. We climbed dunes at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Man, I am out of shape. It is beautiful, though. We took a wine tour on Old Mission Peninsula. You don't have to be in shape to do that. The wine was good and the scenery (bluffs overlooking Lake Michigan) was incredible.

We traveled to Mackinac Island, which is just lovely. Situated on Lake Heron, no cars are allowed on the island. I felt like I had traveled back in time. We spent time hiking, exploring the old fort, shopping, hot-tubbing, and eating and drinking delicious food.

It was lovely.

A few years ago I created a 40 x 40 list of things I wanted to try to do before I turned 40. Well, I only did about half of those. Some of the things are probably never going to happen (knit a hat), while some things might happen before I turn 50? Either way, it doesn't matter. It was fun, but I am not going to get too worked up about it.

I celebrated with my best friends on Monday with a trip to an Escape Room and beer at Lake Monster, which was a super fun way to start the week. Today, I celebrated with a pedicure with my friend Krista, lunch out with my mother-in-law, and dinner out with Ben and the kids.  It was a nice day, and a great way to start my forties.


At Sleeping Bear Dunes. 

Lake Michigan.

Wineries on Old Mission.



Getting our history on at Fort Mackinac.


Ben likes reading signs.

Famous limestone arch on Mackinac Island.

That's not apple juice.

Our hotel on Mackinac: the historic Island House Hotel. We had a view of Lake Huron.






1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the club! I don't mind being in my 40s ... the kids are old enough to be self-sufficient (no diapers or naps, you can have actual conversations, and you can do things that both the adults AND the kids find fun!), your relationships are more meaningful (you realize who your "situational" friends are and which friends will be in your life until you're living in a retirement community), and those getaways with your s/o are priceless—it's the experiences, really, that mean the most. I'm so glad you celebrated (and you were celebrated!) in true Emily style. Happy birthday, dearest pal. xoxo

    ReplyDelete