Thursday, January 31, 2019

Bits and Pieces: January

Cold enough for ya? Har. Har. Har. I may be a little loopy after four days in a row with no school.  Actually, five, because they had off last Friday. Oh, and Clare and I went on Girl Scout camping trip over the weekend.

It has been a busy month. Everyone was ready to get back into our routine after the holidays. The kids started skating lessons, which they seem to be mostly enjoying. We took the kids bowling, which they loved. (It gets expensive quickly though.)

 Then I threw our schedule for a loop again by taking a trip to London.

My Mom and I flew out on the 12th, and spent the week with my brother, sister-in-law, and adorable nephew Marios. That kid is seriously the cutest. He is funny, too, and moving all over the place. He will be walking soon, I think.

We took lots of walks in the park near their house. We also walked around the Olympic Park. We had a Sunday roast. We took Marios to a soft play. My mom and I went to the top of the Shard. My brother, mom and I went to a fancy Afternoon Tea. We went to the Victoria and Albert Museum and the City of London Museum. My mom and I spent most mornings eating a full English breakfast, reading, and drinking coffee while waiting for Marios to finish his "settling in" at nursery.

My brother and I went out for a drink on our own, too. It was good to talk to him. It is hard being so far from them, especially now. I have many feelings that I don't know how to express properly.

I spent the next week trying to get over my jetlag, and then it was time for the Girl Scout camping trip. Clare and I joined her troop in Elk River. I don't like sleeping in a room with a bunch of other people, so I didn't sleep well. Clare had a great time, though. It was cold, but not unbearable. It was nice to get to know some of the other moms of girls in the troop.

And then there was snow and it was cold. The end.


Clare made me breakfast on New Year's Day.

Ben took Clare to climb the rock wall at REI after dropping me off at the airport.

She climbs right to the top, no problem.

A mysterious boy at the Tap.

I don't know why they were wearing these, honestly.

I just love this picture. Pure joy on his face, at least in that one moment.

Marios.

View of London from the Shard. You can see Tower Bridge and the HMS Belfast.

London again.

When you have this kind of view in the bathroom, you must take a selfie. It is the law.

The Shard. Or is it Mordor?

Fancy tea. It was good.

The cakes were good, too.

We were at the Oscar Wilde Lounge on Regent Street in Soho, near Picadilly Circus.

Trafalgar Square. We took an interesting walk from tea to get the Tube back to my brother's neighborhood.

Reading after a trip to the library.

She is into graphic novels, and read three in one day. I read them, too. I have to say, I kind of love the Babysitters Club graphic novels. 


Brief sojourn outside during the Girl Scout camping trip.

We made it outside on Monday, and have been inside ever since. (Except for a trip to a mostly deserted Target.)

Snickerdoodle bakers!







1 comment: