Monday, January 30, 2017

Bits and Pieces: January

It has been a tough week. Day after day of very concerning and frightening news stories has left me worried, sad and depressed. However, I decided this morning that I can't keep reading news story after news story and then binge watching Friends reruns to take my mind off things. It is hard not to feel a sense of impending doom, but worrying, overeating and watching TV are not going to help anyone, including me. So, I am going to do what I can to resist: calling my representatives, attending rallies and donating money. I also want to work on campaigns and volunteer for other organizations that do good work.  And I need to keep busy and sane, if not for myself, then for the little people who I take care of every day.

My sister and I attended the Women's March here, along with my friend Peggy. Many of my other friends marched, too, but it was impossible to connect with everyone, since there were so many people. It was an inspiring day, to say the least. And when we found out how many people marched all over the world, it was even more inspiring. My cousins marched in D.C., Chicago and Los Angeles. It gives me hope that people are not going to be complacent.

As for what we did this month as a family, I already wrote about the best thing - our trip to Florida. I wish we could just be on that trip all the time and not have to think about the real world.

My mom was here visiting for her birthday weekend, and the kids always love having her. She babysat so Katie and I could go to the march without the kids. Katie, my mom and I went out for martinis at Moscow on the Hill and burgers at Red Cow. It was a good time.

This past weekend we took the kids to the Winter Carnival in St. Paul. There is not much there, to be honest, but the kids enjoyed the pony rides. It was Christopher's first time on a pony, and he started yelling "giddy up!" as soon as he sat down. He loved it. Clare remembered the pony she rode last year - Fiona - and she waited in line until she could ride her again. We also took Christopher ice skating for the first time. He enjoyed himself, even though he fell many times.

Christopher is talking a mile a minute, and loves to make people laugh. This is not new, but now he is really into telling jokes. When he makes someone laugh, he says "I am very funny." I think he is going to be a class clown in school, while Clare will be a serious student.  Christopher is enrolled in preschool for the fall. He is definitely ready to start some regular school. We are in music class again this semester, and Christopher and Josie both look forward to class all week.

Clare is doing well in school, although the she has been complaining about not wanting to go quite a bit the last few days. I think everyone is going stir crazy. It is isn't even February yet, and we are all ready for winter to be over. Clare started skating lessons this month. She is doing great - she is one of the kids who can stay on her feet since she has been skating since she was two. She also started swimming lessons. We've only had one class so far, but it went well. We'll see what happens when they ask the kids to go under water.

It is Oscar movie season again, which as provided a wonderful distraction from reality. I am trying to see all the best picture nominees like I did last year. So far I've seen "La La Land", "Fences" and "Hidden Figures." I have a ways to go.

On to February.









3 comments:

  1. This past weekend was so hard with all the news. Sunday night I dreamed of airports and refugees - on a loop, all night long. I think I chipped my tooth, I was grinding my teeth so much!

    I'm slowly seeing good things happening. Our awesome senators speaking out, people who know law far better than POTUS telling us what's up, these impromptu protests.... I sent letters to my senators for the first time ever in my life. (I know they're already the good ones, but I'm happy to increase their numbers of voices speaking out as proof that things need to change.)

    I'm not sure what's going to happen, and it stressed me out and distracts me so much from work and life, but we can only hope what's RIGHT gets through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you both regarding the very real fear of what could come ... trying to shake that impending sense of DOOM (how is this happening, HERE, in the US?!??! What year is this? What is wrong with people to think this is normal behavior?), but I also have to hold onto HOPE. (I try so hard to see the silver lining, whether that's a defense/coping mechanism or just an annoyingly optimistic part of my personality.) So many people are speaking up and speaking out to stand on the right side of history. It's uplifting to know these kind, compassionate, open-minded people are out there in droves.

    Christopher sounds like a little ham! I want to hear one of his jokes. Does Clare laugh, or roll her eyes?

    And I'm impressed that she's taking skating lessons. You have a pretty sweet set-up over there at the rec center. The only time we took our boys skating was when we took them there (free rentals! Chairs! Lots of room to learn.)

    I'm going stir crazy, too. We need to plan a date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh you and I are two peas in a pod on the worrywart / panice front. I've been consuming the news and then consuming commensurate amounts of candy.

    Do post some of Christopher's jokes on video if you can! I love kid jokes.

    I would love a CAKE date soon. xo

    ReplyDelete